Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Marriage of True Minds


Okay, it's been a long time since I post something on this blog, and believe me, it has left me empty and lonely. Okay fine, i'm a bit exaggerating. But still, I do feel hollow with what I'm doing. I know my studies are my priorities, but I grow tired of doing things to keep up with the pressures of a student's life--- project deadlines, quizzes, examinations, homework, advance reading... Sigh. I'm longing to express myself.

Anyway, enough with pity self-talk. I'm back here to post! Yay!

Because I'm pretty tired right now to write about my typical (semi-pathetic) life, let me just share you one of my most favorite sonnets, the Sonnet 116 by the great William Shakespeare.



Sonnet 116, "Let me not to the marriage of true minds"
William Shakespeare

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds
Or bends with the remover to remove
Oh no! It's an ever fixed mark
That looks on the tempest and is never shaken
It is the star to every wandering bark
Whose worth's unknown, athough his height be taken
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.


My own interpretation to this lovely sonnet.

Line 1--- Let me not to the mere legality of marriage, in which the supposed-to-be unbreakable vows can be nullified by human law.
Line 2-4-- What you feel is not love if it changes when your lover changes. Neither it is love when it's lost if your lover leaves you.
Line 5-6--Love is like a lighthouse; it faces the worst trials among lovers yet its foundation is never shaken.
Line 7-8-- Love, like the height of the stars up in the sky, is immeasurable, yet you know the overwhelming feeling to be with your love.
Line 9-10-- It is not love if it becomes less powerful with time. Love endures to forever, though the glorying crown of youthfulness does not. 
Line 11-12--Time will wear out anyone's beauty, but not love, which endures up to any man's twilight.
Line 13-14-- If anyone can prove me wrong, I daresay all my works and achievements are bootless, and no man has ever truly loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment